On Tuesday, August 13, 2013, the Bedford City Council voted to hold a bond election on November 5, 2013, regarding the issuance of $3,200,000 in General Obligation Bonds for park improvements (Boys Ranch Lake improvements, trail improvements, channel improvements, recreation facilities, and related improvements at Boys Ranch Park).
In 2010, the Boys Ranch Park Master Plan was adopted which includes plans for the renovation of the Boys Ranch Park in four phases. Designs for Phase I were completed in the summer of 2012. The General Obligation Bonds will fund improvements outlined in Phase I. Improvements in Phase I include:
• Dredging, reshaping and improving the Boys Ranch Lake. The lake and drainage channel will be lined with decorative stone and several aerators will be incorporated into the lake as well as the drainage channel.
• New fishing pier.
• Three steel bridges cross the drainage channel allowing more access in the park. The three bridge locations will also include waterfall weirs accompanied with boulders and landscaping.
• One large pavilion area (40’x80’) and two smaller round 30’ pavilions.
• New playground area.
• New disc (frisbee) golf course.
• Improved trail system.
• Related lighting, landscaping, irrigation, signage, benches, and water fountains.
The other three phases of the Boys Ranch Master Plan address the remaining portions of the park. These phases focus on improvements to the various sports fields, the Boys Ranch Activity Center, as well as parking/ accessibility concerns. In addition, the City of Bedford was awarded a $100,000 grant from the Texas Parks & Wildlife Department to assist with the project.
Early voting for the bond election will be from Monday, October 21 through Friday, November 1. The main early voting location in Bedford will be the Public Library at 2424 Forest Ridge Drive. As in elections past, voters can vote at any Tarrant County early voting location. Election Day voting will be on Tuesday, November 5, at the specific precinct location of the voter.