Signal Art Program
The City of Bedford invites artists to compete for the chance to display an original design on a traffic signal box. The traffic boxes that will be wrapped are located throughout Bedford. This project also provides an opportunity for local artists to display their work in a public space.
This year, the City will select three to five artist proposals to initially wrap up to five designated traffic signal boxes. This will be an annual contest in which three to five new proposals will be chosen each year, for a total of 27 wrapped boxes when it is complete.
The City will accept proposals based on themes, “The Bikes of Bedford" and "Celebrating Bedford". Artist proposals for the “The Bikes of Bedford" theme can include any type of cycles (motorcycles or bicycles), all ranges of styles are welcome. Proposals for “Celebrating Bedford” can include images of specific celebrations or other significant imagery that reflects the unique beauty, cultures, or landmarks represented in Bedford .
Artists should submit a print ready vector design that can be converted to a digitally-printed wrap. The design will need to be able to convert easily to a print ready vector. Only digital submissions will be accepted. The winners will have their names engraved on a plaque that will hang in the City of Bedford Recreation Center, receive a certificate, in addition to being featured on all City of Bedford social media channels.
The dimensions of the signal boxes are as follows, with a bit of differentiation for some of the boxes:
55” high x 44” wide x 26” deep with an attached UPS Cabinet of 48” high x 16.5” wide x 16.5” deep
Winning designs will remain on the assigned traffic signal box for a minimum of two years. Should damage occur to the box prior to that, the same design will be reinstalled. After two years, should the integrity of the wrap start to fade, damage to the box occur, or a new box be installed, a new design will be added to the box.
The Selection Process
The competition is open to artists of all ages residing in Hurst, Euless or Bedford, with preference given to Bedford residents. Artists may submit one design, per category. Proposals will be screened for completeness and winners will be selected based upon appropriateness, creativity, artisanship, and adherence to the theme.
We are now accepting submissions for our first 5 signal box wrap designs.
The deadline for submissions for the 2021 wraps is Friday, January 29, 2021.
Artists should send the completed form
and the proposed design to Wendy Hartnett @ Wendy.firstname.lastname@example.org.
All traffic signal boxes will be vinyl wrapped based on winning designs. Entries should be submitted in the following format:
- Photographs of paintings or work created by hand should be at least 4000 pixels.
- Digital work should be sent in vector files.
- High resolution PDFs are preferable.
- If the design is completed using InDesign on a PC, please send a packaged .idml or .inx file with all linked images and fonts. If it was built on a Mac, please outline all type, and send a packaged. idml or .inx file with all linked images.
Using the design template below as a guide, please indicate where the proposed design would fit on each face of the traffic signal box. If it is the same image repeated on each side, please indicate that as well.
Winners will be chosen by a selection committee and will be notified via email and/or phone.
- All designs should be the original work of the artist.
- Designs should not include any trademarks, brands, or any sort of advertisements.
- The design should be created to flow across all faces of the box and reflect a unified work of art.
- The design should include little to no print, as it is distracting to drivers to try and read.
- Artists will be invited to sign their work once it is installed.