The Electric Reliability Council of Texas's (ERCOT) issued rotating outages due to the record-breaking energy demands early February 15. The outages are lasting anywhere between 15 and 45 minutes, and are expected to continue until the weather conditions improve.
Here's what you can do to help take reduce the load on the power grid, when you do have electricity:
- Turn down thermostats to 68-degrees.
- Close shades and blinds to reduce the amount of heat lost through windows.
- Turn off and unplug non-essential lights and appliances.
- Avoid using large appliances (i.e., ovens, washing machines, etc.).
- Businesses should minimize the use of electric lighting and electricity-consuming equipment as much as possible.
- Large consumers of electricity should consider shutting down or reducing non-essential production processes.
For more information from ERCOT, visit www.ercot.com.