A Winter Storm Watch has been issued for our area, in effect Wednesday evening through Thursday afternoon. The City of Bedford reminds residents to be safe at home and if you are traveling out on the roads.
Please follow these safety tips to prepare for freezing temperatures:
- Bring pets and plants inside. Use a sheet or blanket to cover plants that must remain outside.
- Build an emergency supply kit for both your home and vehicle (plenty of water, portable chargers, flashlights, batteries, etc.).
- Check in on your elderly neighbors, family, and anyone you know that may be vulnerable in winter conditions.
- Once the temperature outside drops below freezing, let water drip slowly from faucets to keep your pipes from freezing.
- Open cabinet doors under sinks to expose pipes to heat within the house.
- Turn off automatic sprinkler systems and cover outdoor pipes and spigots.
- Stay off icy and hazardous roads.
- Report power outages to Oncor at 1-888-313-4747 or stormcenter.oncor.com.
In addition, we want to make sure everyone knows how to locate and shut off water for your home, in case of an emergency. Please watch the City’s Water Meter Access and Shut-Off video to review how to safely turn off your water.
If you need assistance with turning off your water or removing your lid, please contact Bedford Public Works at 817-952-2200 during normal business hours. For after-hour emergencies, please call the Police Dispatch non-emergency line at 817-952-2127.
Also, make sure you’re following the U.S. National Weather Service Fort Worth Texas or local news stations for the latest weather information. We’ll continue to keep you updated on our communication channels and the City’s website about any impacts to City services.