Roy Savage Pool Mural
The City of Bedford is inviting artists to submit mural proposals for the Roy Savage Pool at Central Park, located at 1201 Central Dr. The mural will be painted on the pool building’s exterior wall.
The City is envisioning a vibrant and inviting mural for visitors and onlookers to enjoy for years to come. Because this mural will be located on the side of the community pool, the design should to be tied to themes of water.
The mural will be painted on the pool building’s exterior brick wall that faces Central Drive. The sign on the wall will be removed for the mural. Artists may also propose to paint the blue trim a different color. The dimensions of the wall are 30 feet wide by 8 feet tall.
The design should to be tied to themes of water. Some examples of this could include swimming, marine life, and movement of water. The City is open to all perspectives and interpretations of these themes, whether it be literally or metaphorically. Any artist or team of artists demonstrating the ability to execute a successful mural are encouraged to apply.
A selection panel will meet to review the submissions and identify the most qualified candidates based on the selection criteria listed below:
- Artistic merit, originality, and creativity as evidenced by prior and proposed artwork.
- Professional experience delivering projects of similar scale and scope.
- Demonstrated ability to undertake the design, creation, and installation of the artwork within the timeline.
- Artwork that requires little or no maintenance.
- Proposed budget appropriate to scope of the project.
Estimated Timeline and Budget
Submissions for the mural are due Thursday, February 29, 2024. A selection panel will recommend an artist around early March, with a meeting to be held between the artist and City staff to discuss final details of the design in mid/late March.
Painting of the mural will begin in April 2024.
The budget of this project is $10,000. The chosen artist is responsible for all materials, including an anti-graffiti coating that is required to be applied to the finished work. Upon signing the contract, the artist will receive 50 percent of payment due. Upon completion of the work, the artist will receive the remainder of the payment.
Please include the following items in your submission:
- Statement of Intent. Think of this as your cover letter. Describe why you are interested in this opportunity and highlight any relevant experience.
- Sketch and/or renderings of proposed design. Details of the design will be finalized once a winner is chosen; however, a drawing of the proposed overall design idea is required. This can be done in any medium.
- Examples of work similar in scope and size. Included in your image list, please describe each project in terms of materials, site, and scale.
Please send all inquiries and submission materials to Cultural Arts Assistant Jessica Green at Jessica.Green@bedfordtx.gov.